How to import mail and contacts from Wesleyan GApps to Gmail
If change your primary account from a Wesleyan GApps account to a Gmail account, you may want to import your mail and contacts to your new account. The following method is the simplest way of moving messages from your Wesleyan GApps Inbox to your new Gmail Inbox. This method does not preserve Gmail message labels (i.e. Gmail “folders”). To transfer messages with labels please see Transfer via IMAP.
- Log in to your Wesleyan GApps account. Then, navigate to Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP > POP Download and choose the option to Enable POP for all mail. Be sure to save your new settings.
- After you save these settings, log in to the destination Gmail account (the one that you want to use as your main account). In the Gmail account, Navigate to Settings > Accounts and Import > Import Mail and Contacts and click the link of the same name.
- This link will open a pop-up window. First, provide your full Wesleyan e-mail address. Then provide the password to your Wesleyan email address. Gmail will not allow you to import at this point, and will expand the window to allow you to change your POP username and POP server.
- You will need to change the POP username from
- Then, change the POP server from
- Re-type your password and submit the form. After this, you will be able to select different options for your import. Please note: some users have reported that the import will only work if “Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server” is unchecked. See this Google Groups thread for more information. After you’re done perusing the options, click Start Import.
Gmail should now log in to your old GApps account and fetch all mail from the Inbox, transferring it to your destination Gmail Inbox per your import options.