This page shows how to set up an IMAP account using the Thunderbird mail client, which is available as a free download from Mozilla for PC, Mac and Linux.
- Download Thunderbird from Mozilla. Your operating system should be detected automatically.
- Install Thunderbird in your Applications folder on Mac OS X, or your Program Files folder on Windows.
- Launch Thunderbird.
- Click on “Create a new account”
- When you see the option to create a new email address, click “Skip this and use my existing email”
- On the next screen enter your name, email address and password.
- If Thunderbird locates a suggested email configuration, make sure that IMAP is selected, then click “Done.” Otherwise proceed to manual setup.
- You will then see your email account and folders listed on the left column of the main Thunderbird window.
- Next, navigate to Tools > Account Settings in the application menu.
- Select your email account in the list that pops up. Make sure that your name and email address are correct.
- Next, select the “Server Settings” option. Make sure that the values entered in the areas outlined in orange match the IMAP Incoming Mail Server settings on the Email Configuration page.
- Click on “Outgoing Server (SMTP)”. Make sure that the values entered in the areas outlined in orange match the IMAP Outgoing Mail Server settings on the Email Configuration page.
- If you need to change the Outgoing Server settings, select the Wesleyan SMTP server from the list and click the “Edit” button. (We recommend you use “Wesleyan” or “Wesleyan SMTP” as the description, to distinguish this outgoing mail server from any others you may have, or may add later.)
Congratulations! Your Wesleyan account is now configured as an IMAP account in Thunderbird.